Friday, May 29, 2015

Blueberry and Rhubarb Crumble


I realized that I just missed the 4th anniversary of my little blog!  How on Earth I didn't realize it or find it important enough to mark the occasion, I do not know.  Plus I've let nearly a month go by without a post.  What, oh what, is happening here?



I've got stuff waiting for posting.  I do, I promise.  I just find these days that I'd rather spend the precious time when my ever-increasingly mobile baby girl is napping doing stuff like finally getting some food in me or showering.  Is that so awful?  Gosh, I hope not because I value those few minutes when my mind can wander freely so very much.


This recipe is a perfect illustration of my point.  I really wanted to make a pie.  I had it all worked out, the fruit, my favorite crust with a little bit of almond flour worked into it, some home made jam tossed in to sweeten the deal.  Then I thought to myself "Who am I kidding?  I don't have time for pie.".  So I went for the next best (and infinitely easier) thing- crumble.  This sort of quick and effortless dessert is where my heart lies these days.  Something I can throw together during naptime that will still be wonderful hours later when warmed up gently (or even for breakfast the next morning...shh, don't tell...).

So I give you a fruit crumble that bridges the seasons.  A little bit of spring and little bit of summer tossed together to give you something that is so much more than the sum of its parts.  Enjoy!


Blueberry and Rhubarb Crumble
Serves 6
For the printable recipe, click here.

This is a simple crumble with a bit of tart (the rhubarb) and a bit of sweet (the blueberries).  I add a bit of orange juice and zest to brighten things up a bit, but you can really jazz this up any way you like.  I thought afterwards that I might have liked some fresh ginger grated into the mix or maybe a touch of cinnamon.  Swap out the orange for lemon.  Or switch up the fruits to use what you have on hand.  Strawberries and rhubarb are a classic combination and at this time of year apricots are just coming into season and would be great tossed in with the other fruits.  That's the great thing about a fruit crumble- you can really do whatever you want.  This is a crumble and not a crisp so the topping is a bit softer and not full of stuff like oats or nuts.  By all means add them if you wish, but I like the plain, unadulterated buttery flavor of the simple crumble topping.

3 cups 1/2 inch thick sliced rhubarb
3 cups blueberries
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbs cornstarch
1 tbs orange zest (or the zest from 1 orange)
1 tbs orange juice

1 cup all purpose flour
8 tbs cold butter, cut into pieces
1/3 cup sugar

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.

In a large saucepan stir together the rhubarb, blueberries, 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch, orange zest and orange juice.  Cook over medium heat until the juices start to flow and the berries begin to pop open.  Pour the fruit mixture into a 3 quart baking dish (or one that is roughly 9 x 13 inches).

In a medium bowl, toss together the flour and butter.  Using your fingertips or a fork gently smash the butter into the flour until the butter pieces are about the size of peas.  Stir in the 1/3 cup sugar.  Pour the crumble topping over the fruit evenly.  Place the crumble into the oven and bake for 25-28 minutes or until the topping is golden and the fruit juices are bubbling.  Remove from the oven and serve warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment