Thursday, March 20, 2014

Strawberry Cream Cheese Popovers


Okay, so I need some back up.  Please.  Because I can't be the only person who does this.  I know it's not possible.

Am I the only person who consistently attempts to pin the same things more than once on Pinterest?  Clearly I know what I like, so that has to be a good thing.  But I get so annoyed with myself when I see that pesky little note..."Pssst...looks like you've already pinned this..."



This time it was even worse (or more embarrassing maybe?).  I pinned this recipe TWICE IN THE SAME DAY.  Or I tried to, at the very least.  My memory has been pretty much nonexistent ever since the birth of my first child, but really?  I can't even remember something I saw earlier in the same day? 

My husband and I have this little running joke.  He says that I gave up half my brain to our oldest son, so that after that I was only working with half of what was, admittedly, a pretty good brain.  Using that same theory, half of what was left was given over to our second little man.  Which left me with only a quarter of the original.  Even if I were a genius, which I certainly was not, that's not a whole lot to work with.  I can't remember anything these days.  Now here's the thing.  We've got a third kiddo on the way (like how I slipped that one in there, didn't you?) so that poor little one is cursed with only being blessed with 1/8 of my starting brain power and I'm left with the other eighth.  We're both doomed.  I'm so sorry little one...


So here goes.  I'm giving my memory a break and just making these delicious popovers.  Twice in the same day has to mean that I really, really want to make them...

Strawberry Cream Cheese Popovers
Makes 12 muffin sized popovers or 6 standard sized popovers.  Adapted from In Sock Monkey Slippers via Jamie Oliver.
For the printable recipe, click here.

I love popovers.  They're super easy to whip up and a great vehicle for anything you'd like to drizzle into them.  They have this great hollow space inside that's crying out for honey.  I didn't do much fooling around with the original recipe.  I didn't have the goat cheese (which sounds delish and I'd still love to try it), but did have cream cheese hanging out in the fridge so I made the switch and was not disappointed with the result.  I may or may not have forgot I was halving the recipe, ehem, accidentally doubled the volume of cream cheese called for and think that's what caused my popovers to look a bit more like Mt. Vesuvius that I would have likedSo I corrected that for you in the recipe below.  I really, really, really recommend a drizzle of honey over a warm popover with the first spring strawberries you can find.

2 cups milk
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon sea salt
3 eggs, at room temperature
4 ounces room temperature cream cheese
2 tablespoons honey
¾ cup fresh strawberries, diced

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.  Lightly butter your muffin tin or popover pan.  Set aside.

In a small saucepan, heat the milk over medium heat until just warm to the touch, about 110 degrees.

Stir together the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.

In a larger bowl*, whisk the eggs quickly for a few minutes until they are foamy.  Slowly pour in the milk while still whisking.  Stir in the flour mixture until just incorporated.  It's okay if there are still a few lumps in it.

*You can also mix the batter in a blender or with a stand or electric hand mixer following the same steps.  It incredibly adaptable to whatever you have on hand.

In a small bowl, stir together the cream cheese, honey and strawberries.

Pour the batter into the prepared pans until each cup is 3/4 full.  Evenly spoon a small amount of the cream cheese mixture into the center of each cup.  Bake for 15 minutes.  Then, without opening the door, turn down the oven's temperature to 375 degrees.  Bake for an additional 15 minutes for muffin-sized popovers and 30 minutes for standard sized ones.  The finished popovers will have puffed and be golden brown on top.

Serve warm with a drizzle of honey.


No comments:

Post a Comment