Thursday, November 15, 2012

Spiced Cider Cranberry Sauce

This cranberry sauce leaves me feeling a bit selfish, as it's for me and me alone.  I seem to be the only one who loves a sauce made from fresh whole berries beautifully plated on my Thanksgiving table.  That little pot of jewel colored cranberries just makes my mouth want to dance with pleasure.  The thing is, I've decided that its OK to be a little selfish every once in a while.  Because truly, as a wife, mother and aspiring jam entrepreneur I spend a whole lot of time thinking of others and what will make them happy.  And luckily for me, I really do enjoy the way that I spend my days and the company of the friends and family I choose to spend those days with.  For that I am truly thankful.
Speaking of thanks...

I am extraordinarily thankful that my New Jersey family was spared the worst of Hurricane Sandy and that after the inconvenience of about a week's loss of power, everyone is safe and warm in their own beds.

I am thankful that for the third holiday season in a row, I have my hard working military husband home with me.  It is a blessing that so many families will do without this year.

I am thankful for the beauty that surrounds me every day.

I am thankful that my sons still love to hug their Momma and I will continue to hug them long past the point at which it becomes embarrassing to them.

I am thankful that the few abilities that I have can often bring a smile to others faces.  It's a joy and a pleasure to have others enjoy my cooking and my writing.
Spiced Cider Cranberry Sauce
Makes about 2 cups.
For the printable, click here.

I have been making this cranberry sauce for years, tweaking it here and there until it reached the point where I could call it "perfect".  I have long since lost the original magazine clipping that was the inspiration for this sauce, so I apologize to whomever was the first to print this, but as I have tinkered with it quite a bit, I have no trouble at all calling it my own.  It would be my pleasure if you would do the same for yourself with this recipe.

1 12 oz. package of fresh cranberries
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup fresh apple cider or fresh, unfiltered apple juice (look for it in the refrigerated section of your market)
2 tbs fresh squeezed orange juice
zest of 1 medium orange
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1-2 tsp grated fresh ginger (to your taste)
1/4 tsp allspice
1/8 tsp ground cloves

Place the ingredients together in a medium saucepan.  Bring to a boil over medium high heat.  Reduce the heat so that you have a steady simmer.  Simmer for about 10 minutes or until the cranberries have all popped, stirring occasionally.  Remove from the stove and cool.  Serve chilled with your favorite turkey and the company of family and best friends.


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Cathleen. I love that jar too- I'm so glad I finally found a way to use it!

      Delete